(Stark and Carroll Counties, Ohio) June 11, 2021 – United Way invites artists from Stark and Carroll Counties to submit their qualifications for a commission to create a sculpture that celebrates United Way’s 100th anniversary.
Artist must submit their biographies and three images of previous work by July 12 at midnight at uwstark.org/100
A pre-designated committee will then select three finalists who will be asked to create a concept for the commemorative sculpture. Each finalist will be paid $250. The artist to be commissioned will be chosen and be awarded $7,500 commission to create the sculpture, which will be completed by early May 2022.
Details for the final piece include:
- The sculpture will be installed outdoors next to United Way’s downtown office at 401 Market Avenue North, outside of Centennial Plaza
- Final sculpture design must be substantive enough to withstand Ohio weather, safe for children to interact with, resistant to vandalism and able to be moved or relocated.
- Incorporate the collaborative spirit of community giving associated with United Way and local communities over the last 100 years. The contribution of community leaders, businesses, and volunteers driving United Way’s efforts to promote health, education, and financial stability in our area should be the primary focus of the piece.
- Link the design to the 100 year history of United Way, available here .
- Incorporate theme of United Way of Greater Stark County 100th year logo and United Way of Greater Stark County logo.
- A commemorative plaque will be added to the piece to recognize any sponsorships and the artist’s name and short bio. This plaque will also include United Way of Greater Stark County 100th year logo and United Way of Greater Stark County logo.
All details are available at uwstark.org/100.
“Art is an important part of our community. It motivates and inspires us, and crosses all divides,” says Maria Heege, President and CEO of United Way of Greater Stark County. “This sculpture is an amazing opportunity for a physical representative of our presence over the past ten decades. It is a recording of history and offers tribute to the endurance of a hundred years of community service and giving by honoring the contribution of many. This will also represent the future and a public reminder that in order to be successful at making the world a better place, it must be a community effort.”
Since 1922, United Way has been present in Stark County. Through the merging of United Way Alliance, Central Stark County and Western Stark, United Way of Greater Stark County has been a part of this community for a century. On Feb 20, 2022, United Way of Greater Stark County will begin to celebrate the many years of progress and transformation.
About United Way of Greater Stark County
United Way of Greater Stark County fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in every community. We win by living United. By forging unlikely partnerships. By finding new solutions to old problems. By mobilizing the best resources. And by inspiring individuals to join the fight against their community’s most daunting social crisis. Our mission is to improve the quality of life in our communities by leading in the development of solutions to critical social issues in the areas of health, education and financial stability. In order to live better, we must live United. For more information about United Way of Greater Stark County visit uwstark.org. Offices are at 401 Market Avenue North, Suite 300, Canton, Ohio 44702. (330) 491-0445