YLS TEXTBOOK SCHOLARSHIP
College textbooks are a necessary, but costly, expense that is not typically covered by academic scholarships. Our Young Leaders Society (YLS) helps ease that burden for high school students through its textbook scholarship fund. This scholarship is a $1,000 award, renewable for up to four years, created to offset the expense of books needed to further a student’s education after high school.
Applications are now closed.
To be eligible for the scholarship award, students must:
- Be a high school senior attending a Greater Stark County school district (Stark and Carroll Counties included)
- Be the first member of their family to pursue a four-year college degree
- Have an accumulated grade point average of 2.75 or better on a 4.00 scale or the equivalent by the demonstration of proficiency on all required state standards
- Submit their application, an official high school transcript and one letter of recommendation from a personal (non-family) reference by the published deadline
Scholarship recipients will be required to stay enrolled and submit a digital copy of their transcript each year, maintaining an overall 2.5 GPA from the previous year in order to receive the next $1,000 installment.
All these criteria are required, along with other factors as determined by the United Way Young Leaders Society Steering Committee. Students from underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
Past Scholarship Recipients
- Sage Hester, McKinley Senior High School
- Joseph Knopp, East Canton High School
- Evahanna Cruz, Timken Early College High School
- Jermaine Brack, Glen Oak High School
- Meleah Nelson, Timken Early College High School