YLS TEXTBOOK SCHOLARSHIP
College textbooks are a necessary, but costly, expense that is not typically covered by academic scholarships. Our Young Leaders Society (YLS) helps ease that burden for high school students through its textbook scholarship fund. This scholarship is a $1,000 award, renewable for up to four years, created to offset the expense of books needed to further a student’s education after high school.
The deadline to apply for the award was April 30, 2019.
To be eligible for the scholarship award, students must:
- Be a high school senior attending a Stark County school district
- Be the first member of their family to pursue a four-year college degree
- Have an accumulated grade point average of 2.75 or better on a 4.00 scale or the equivalent by the demonstration of proficiency on all required state standards
- Submit their application and an official high school transcript by the published deadline
All these criteria are required, along with other factors as determined by the United Way Young Leaders Society Steering Committee. Students from underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
Past Scholarship Recipients
- Sage Hester, McKinley Senior High School
- Joseph Knopp, East Canton High School
- Evahanna Cruz, Early College High School
- Jermaine Brack, Glen Oak High School
- Meleah Nelson, Timken Early College High School