During this unprecedented time, there are many seniors in our community struggling with social isolation.
Approximately 19% of Stark County’s population is 65 and older, many of whom are able to live in their homes and stay connected to the community with the support of United Way funded programs such as Catholic Charities Serving Portage and Stark Counties and Westark Family Services.
To celebrate Day of Action on June 21, we plan to offer additional support to these programs and the clients they serve by providing 425 care packages for seniors.
Each care package will include the following items. These will not only help brighten the recipient’s day but also offer therapeutic activities such as caring for a plant and word games.
- A flower in a decorated pot
- Activity book
- Sugar-free mints
- Information about community resources
- A handwritten note sharing hope and encouragement
We need YOUR help to assemble these kits and add your own touch to help show the recipients that people in their community care about them! Let us know how many kits you will assemble and we will have the supplies available for pick-up on Friday, June 12th between 11am – 2pm. Once you have your supplies, we encourage you to do the following tasks with all members of your household for each kit!
- Decorate the pot – you can paint it, write a message on it, add stickers or other craft materials, make it your own and have fun with it!
- Plant the flower – please provide your own soil and water it before returning the kit.
- Write a personal note of hope and encouragement on the provided notecard.
- Assemble each kit with the appropriate supplies
Kits will need to be returned to United Way on Wednesday, June 17th between 11am – 2pm. More details to come regarding our minimal contact, curbside pickup and drop-off leading up to the event.
Flowers generously provided by Rice’s Landscapes Redefined.
REGISTER FOR PROJECT
For questions about this project, please contact Laura Prengaman at email@example.com or 330-491-9953.