United Way’s 2-1-1 is an easy to remember three-digit telephone number that can be used to access community resources available to Greater Stark County. By simply dialing 2-1-1, residents of Stark County can reach the Information & Referral help line and be directed to health and human service agencies and programs. The service is free, confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Find Help Online!
2-1-1 now offers assistance online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. United Way's 2-1-1's referral database has over 800 assistance organizations that can be searched by name, zip code, city, keywords or by the type of assistance needed. To find help through United Way's 2-1-1's referral database click here ».
To access a walking map of emergency food, transportation, and shelter assistance, click here for iStreet Card ».
Email 2-1-1 staff: firstname.lastname@example.org ».
“When Zak was born he had contracted bacterial meningitis at 5 days old. He spent 30 days in Akron Children's Hospital…It left him with cerebral palsy and major global developmental delays…today at 10 years old he still can't talk, walk, feed himself and is dependent on us for his total care …One of our major difficulties in caring for Zak was getting him to his bedroom and the bathroom. Our bedrooms and only bathroom are on the second floor. When he was younger that wasn't a big issue. As he is getting older he is also getting bigger and heavier. It was becoming difficult to carry him up the steps… With United Way’s help we got a stair-lift system that allows us to sit Zak in the stair-lift and that glides him up the steps.”
-Brian, Karen, Jessica and Zak Kirby
Click here » to view all of Ohio's 2-1-1 locations.
What is I & R?
Information & Referral (or I & R) is the community link between people in need of health and human services assistance and the appropriate providers. I & R Specialists help link thousands of callers with services each year.
Specialists assess caller’s needs and determine the service provider best equipped to handle their problem or crises. Additionally, Specialists are trained to determine whether a caller may be eligible for other services in the community. United Way’s 2-1-1 maintains a comprehensive database of resources, including federal, state and local government agencies, community–based organizations, private non-profits and volunteer opportunities.
What type of services does 2-1-1 provide?
Knowing that you need help is one thing…finding someone who can help you is another. United Way’s 2-1-1 can link you to resources such as rent and utility assistance, food, health related services, homeless services, foreclosure information, senior services, family counseling, support groups and parenting resource information.
What happens when I call 2-1-1?
United Way’s 2-1-1 is designed to provide you with information and referrals using an extensive database of community resources. When you call 2-1-1, you will be connected with a trained United Way Specialist who will ask you to answer a variety of questions so that they can determine which community services may be available to address your needs.
What are the benefits of 2-1-1?
- 2-1-1 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- 2-1-1 allows callers who are senior citizens, teens and adults of all ages to access telephone services that formerly required the caller to dial a seven-digit number.
- 2-1-1 eliminates confusion about who to call and where to go when you need help. This eliminates complicated searches through phone books and thousands of misdirected phone calls trying to find the right social service agency to meet the callers’ needs.
- 2-1-1 provides our most vulnerable residents, those who are elderly, disabled, illiterate, new to the community, etc. easy access to services that can meet their needs.
- 2-1-1 can help direct some non-emergency, non-police related calls that are related to a caller’s need for health and human services away from the area’s emergency 9-1-1 lines. It is estimated that in many communities as much as 70% of the calls to 9-1-1 are for non-emergency related matters and often tie up the lines designated to handle police and fire rescue emergencies.
Not available on all cellular phones. Call 330-491-9997.
2-1-1 is sponsored by: