Carroll County Emergency Assistance Guidelines

Emergency Assistance is now available to Carroll County residents through funding provided by Aultman Hospital. Clients may call  2-1-1 to determine eligibility. 2-1-1 services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Eligible clients will be scheduled for an appointment with an Information & Referral Specialist on Thursdays, 1:30-4 p.m., at the Carroll County Department of Job and Family Services. 

Carroll County Emergency Assistance Guidelines:

  • Must reside within Carroll County

  • Must be at or below 300% FPL

  • Must have valid photo ID and provide SS number for all household members (only last four digits will be recorded)

  • Must provide proof of household income for the past thirty days

  • Assistance may be provided once every twelve months for rent/mortgage and once every twelve months for utility assistance; however, in extremely rare circumstances, additional requests are reviewed and considered for assistance

  • Client must have a $0 balance after they receive UW assistance 

  • No reconnect or late fees will be paid with UW funding

  • Individuals and families receiving assistance must demonstrate financial stability following UW assistance. Stabilization may be the result of increased income, case manager budget suggestions, referrals, advocacy or the resolution of a temporary financial crisis. 

The following assistance will be considered:

Rent assistance

  • Must have a past-due notice, an eviction notice or newly signed lease for first month’s rent

  • Limit of $500 OR one month’s rent, whichever is less 

  • Rent not to exceed 50% of family’s gross income

Mortgage assistance

  • Must have a past-due notice from lender

  • Limit of $500 OR one monthly payment, whichever is less 

  • Mortgage not to exceed 50% of family’s gross income

Utility assistance 

  • Propane or other heating oil with 25% or less in tank, up to $500

  • Coal or firewood up to $500 

  • Gas and electric must have a disconnect notice or be disconnected, up to $300

    • Must have applied for HEAP and/or PIPP Plus, if eligible

    • During the HEAP winter crisis program exceptions include:

    • Households with an individual over the age of 55 and/or disabled and/or those with a medical need

    • Households with child(ren) under the age of 5 

  • Water must have a disconnect notice or be disconnected, up to $300